What to choose: a kitchen table or island?
Let’s be honest and declare that one of the very first elements we see upon walking into a kitchen is the island – if there is one, of course. Even more so if someone is already seated at the island or, better, if a spread of delicious food is laid out on the surface.
Another great advantage of the kitchen island is that, thanks to it being higher than your average kitchen table, you can either sit or stand at it – completely up to you! This is especially comfortable when socialising in the kitchen over a plate of appetisers and some tea (or wine) before moving on to the more formal dining room. That said, the kitchen island can serve as a casual stepping stone between meeting-and-greeting the guests at the front door and kicking off the main event, like a dinner party in the dining room or birthday celebration out on the patio.
More benefits of the kitchen island:
• Plenty of storage – an island allows for at least two more cabinets, two drawers, and maybe even some display shelving for a few cookbooks and other collectibles.
• Its size can vary according to the available space.
• It doubles up perfectly as a breakfast bar, ensuring a comfy dining space once the worktop overhangs the units and provides space for some stools.
• An island is great for displaying and storing a few kitchen accessories.
• Kitchen islands can be used for a multitude of different activities, from food prepping and baking to a comfy homework zone for the kiddies.
• A lot of homeowners are moving the stove top to the island and treating themselves to a second cooking station, enabling them to prepare meals together and, thus, enjoy more quality time with family and friends.
The only disadvantage of the kitchen island is that it doesn’t always fit into a galley (long) kitchen; however, it’s perfect for your more typical L-shape and U-shape spaces.What to choose: a kitchen table or island? ps (with Pictures. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, volunteer authors worked to edit and improve it over time.
Choose The Best Flooring For Your Kitchen. Your kitchen floor, besides being practical and durable, is a major design statement as well. The floor you choose affects every other element of your design and with the variety of materials, colors and textures available today, your choices are nearly endless.
How To Choose The Best Kitchen Sinks And Faucets: The. How to Choose the Best Kitchen Sink and Faucet. Our guide to everything about the kitchen sink—they’re not just stainless any more. We’ll also help you find the right faucet to fit your needs.Skip to the advice posts